It was in the year 1902 that the landless people from the village of Margenau, Molotchna came to the the city of Omsk1, to find land. With the help of a Mr. Kaftan they were able to obtain a long term lease on land from an army Officer by the name of Ljapin2. Shortly after the agreement was signed the lots were drawn up for the village of Margenau, Siberia. It was located north of the forest on their property, approximately half a kilometer from the Trans Siberia Railroad, with the main street running from East to West.
The families that came here from Margenau, Molotchna were Heinrich Teichgraef, Kornelius Klassen, Johann Meckelburger, and three brothers, Jacob, Franz, and Heinrich Huebert. Joining them in this settlement was Jakob Kornelius Unger from the the village of Neukirch. He started up a dairy farm but was forced to sell it when the market for his products became too competative3. He sold his buildings to Gerhard Reimer4, from Crimea. Other land leasers also joined them over a period of time.
In 1909 Officer Ljapin decided that he wanted to sell his land. Those that chose to buy land could remain here, while others chose to sell their homes to the land buyers and moved to the Slawgorod region where they were allowed to settle on government property.
In 1907 Peter P. Kasdorf came to Margenau, Siberia, from Margenau, Molochna with his wife Helena, nee Goossen, and their youngest son Jacob who was 17 at that time. They also leased their land. Peter died in 1909, leaving his widow Helena with a fair sum of money. She decided to give each of her four children 4,000 Rubel, inheritance money. This gave her children the opportunity to buy land at Margenau, S. Her daughter Barbara, Mrs. Gerhard P. Reimer and her family who had moved to Margenau, S. from Spat, Crimea in 1903 now purchased property.
Johann Peter and Anna (Eitzen) Kasdorf
Her son Johann5, with his family, moved to here from Margenau, M, where he was one of the landless among the Mennonites. Her daughter Helena, Mrs. Jacob Fr. Huebert, with her family had moved here with original group in 1902.
Other land buyers at this time were Peter Rahn from Crimea, Gerhard Wiens and Jacob Wall from Ufa, Abram Tieszen and Johann Regehr from Friedensfeld, Widow Vogt from Memrik, and Kornelius Epp from Adreesfeld.
In 1907 an M.B. church for about 300 people was built in Margenau. This church was attended by people from the area in the radius of about 25 kilometers from Margenau. Jakob Franz Huebert was installed as the Senior Minister for this congregation. His assisting ministers were Rev. Johann Regier and Rev. Gerhard Reimer4. Franz Bergen was elected as the Diacon.
* Len Loeppky Omsk Tour 2011.